Home Economics Class

November3

So what have I been doing in my free time at SGHS?  When I’m not teaching I lesson plan, catch up on emails, theoretically write blogs, and I learn how to embroider.  That’s right, embroider. I am currently attending Home Ec class with my students. According to the home ec teacher this is their favorite class and judging by their behavior I would have to agree… no one is sleeping and they’re barely talking. They have no time to talk because they’re too focused on picking out the right colors, or making the perfect stitches. Have I mentioned that all of the classes I’ve sat in on/participated in were either co-ed or all boys?

Going to Home Ec helps me realize just what different standards of masculinity there are between high school American boys and high school Korean boys. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve never met a high school boy that thought that embroidery was cool. I have to say though, it makes me smile everytime I see one of my “too cool for school” more difficult male students proudly show the Home Ec teacher his pink, embroidered seat cushion.

posted under Cute Stories, School