Em in Asia!

My Experiences Living and Teaching in South Korea

Thanksgiving

November30

Taught a cultural lesson on Thanksgiving last week and part of this week. Here are  my favorite answers in response to questions (in terms of humor, not student retention):

“Okay class, 500 dollar jeopardy question. So what food do you put INSIDE the turkey?”
“*Frantic whispering* PIE!”

*point at the TV screen where I’m showing snippets of the Macy’s Day Parade* “You see the people riding on top of the turkey? Who are they?” (note: they were pilgrims)
“OBAMA!”
“nooooooo”
“EMILY TEACHER!”

“Okay class, what are you thankful for? I am thankful BECAUSE of my friends. What about you?”
“I am thankful because of me.”

“What is one of Korea’s MAIN EXPORTS” ($500 jeopardy question in the “random” column for my advanced students)
“Kimchi?”

posted under Cute Stories, School
6 Comments to

“Thanksgiving”

1. Avatar November 30th, 2010 at 5:49 pm Reverend Says:

My favorite answer: “EMILY TEACHER!”

2. Avatar November 30th, 2010 at 8:55 pm epotosky Says:

They also said “EMILY TEACHER!” when I pointed a Shrek balloon >.<. My response? "I'm not green! Or a balloon!"

3. Avatar December 1st, 2010 at 12:47 am Esther Yook Says:

I loved hearing about your Korean students! They are adorable. I look forward to hearing about your cultural experiences when you return to NoVA!

4. Avatar December 1st, 2010 at 5:51 am Ray Says:

Those were great anecdotes. Hope you’re doing well! (JRB says hi.)

5. Avatar December 5th, 2010 at 9:58 am Leah Says:

Chris and I loved the answers haha… they are too funny!

6. Avatar December 11th, 2010 at 6:55 am Maria Says:

Haha, amazing. Life is so funny! 🙂

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

안녕하세요! My name is Emily and when I started this blog I had received a 2010 – 2011 F*lbright grant to teach English in South Korea.  I then decided to apply to renew my grant, so I am now staying in Korea until July 2012. This blog is not an official F*lbright Program blog, and the views expressed are my own and not those of the F*lbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

I graduated from the University of Mary Washington with a degree in Philosophy Pre-Law and Classical Civilizations, and found myself 3 months later teaching English at SGHS. The town that I taught in, SG, is a small town of 12,000 people, an “읍” (eup) rather than a “시” (shi – city), and though it was sometimes hard teaching in such a small town I really enjoyed the unique experience of being the first foreign teacher SGHS had ever had. I lived in the largest part of the county which is significantly bigger (40,000 people) than the town the school is situated in, but is also considered rural by Korean standards.

During my second grant period (2011-2012) I decided to change schools and I currently teach at CPHS which is located in an even smaller town than previously, in Jeollanamdo.

This blog is meant to serve as a reflection not only of being a Native English Speaking teacher in Korea, but also of living as a foreigner in rural Korea.

css.php