No my name does not mean “Light Lover”

September7

It’s so strange how different classes think alike sometimes. I swear, sometimes students will tell a joke, and I’ll laugh, thinking it’s pretty original, but then almost every single class I teach will say that same joke, and it just makes me wonder, how on earth does that happen? Do they talk about class outside of class? I doubt it… is it a hive mind? Probably not. Is it super funny or make a whole lot of sense? Not particularly.

I taught Latin roots last week. I would say a root and students would shout out what they thought the root meant, followed by words with that root (i.e. “Aud” – “to hear! -audience, -audible, -audition, etc). By the time we got to “Tele” (far! -telephone, -television, -telepathy) there was always one smart alec who shouted out “teletubbies!” I guess maybe… if you consider the “tele” maybe standing for fat beings who live in your television? Hm.

Also, students tended to have trouble with “Am” and “Photo.” To help them figure out the roots, I had them suggest words first, then see what they had in common. “Am” means love, and many names like Amy, and Amanda come from that root. When I asked my students what English names they could think of had “Am” in them, almost all classes responded “Amily.” Fail. When I asked what words (not even names, just words) had “Photo” guess what they responded? That’s right, Photosky. I think Amily Photosky teacher is almost as good as Animal teacher…

posted under Cute Stories, School
One Comment to

“No my name does not mean “Light Lover””

1. Avatar March 16th, 2012 at 3:51 pm Em in Asia! » Blog Archive » The Return of Photosky Says:

[…] thought that they had forgotten my Latin roots lesson, and it just about made my day.[…]