Khan

September19

Sometimes I miss SGHS – I miss the inherent craziness. Here students are more likely to talk to me as the general English level is higher, but it’s less likely that there’s any sort of real content. They’re just kind of using me as a bumper – which of course I don’t mind, honestly, it’s kind of my job, but I do miss that bond. I’d like to think that it’ll just take time, but I also honestly think that was part of the personality at SGHS, because from talking to my other foreign teacher friends they never had quite the same experience. However there’s a student at my school who actually seems like he’d be a better fit at SGHS than at CPHS, and I feel like I can sum up why just by saying this – the first time I met him he ran into another classroom and shouted “Call me Khan!” then made like, “remember me” hand motions and ran out. Totally SGHS-esque. I’ll even clarify this further – I don’t give out American names nor do I have my students pick their own names…I try to learn and call them by their real names. Nevertheless when I finally taught his class, I get to see “KHAN” written on his table tent in giant letters, followed by his Korean name in much smaller letters.

Today I taught the passive tense to class 1.7. This was the first time I was trying out this lesson, and I was trying it with the lowest level first grade class. Needless to say it was difficult. I rarely do lessons based around tech (movies, powerpoints, etc) because I like to have a backup plan if they fail. Well of course the day I show a movie clip (Ratatouille – and because I don’t want to take the credit for something amazing that I didn’t come up with, I got the idea from this awesome site) I find out the sound doesn’t work. I resolve to show the clip anyway, as students are answering questions based on the events they see, not the dialogue, but of course Khan steps in to save the day.

OHTEACHER ILOVEMOVIE. (I swear when he talks he half screams, and then like, waves his hands a lot. Kinda like – OH HEY. LOOK AT ME. I’MTHEONEGIVINGTHEANSWER. Yup. Got it. Thanks Khan).

and then he starts narrating.

“do do do do do. I’m walking. Oh hey guys. Oh no! scree ahhhh BOOM. JumpJumpJump!! Huh. Schuschuschuschu-”
etc.

Pretty much made my day.

posted under Cute Stories, School