Mustard Tights and Politics

October30

Well it’s Halloween week and while most of the other foreign teachers I’ve talked to are trying to do something Halloweeny, I’m getting in the November electorial spirit and doing politics. Politicans are scary, right? Last week we discussed issues and practiced writing with the “I think/believe _____ because _______” grammar form, and this week I broke students up into groups of five and had them create their own political parties. I had them assign each group member a role (presidential candidate, vice presidential candidate, campaign manager, publicity manager, and speechwriter), decide on a name and symbol for their party, (current favorite name: “Ultra Peace: UP”) and choose five issues and write their stances on them. This went over surprisingly well.

I had mentioned that we were going to debate in the previous lesson, so students asked if we were going to debate these topics. I said yes, we were going to have a presidential campaign and next week we would learn debate expressions and create campaign posters, and the following week we would debate. They just about lost it.

This lesson probably won’t go over nearly as well with class 2.4 later in the day, but I’m happy right now.

In other news, today I wore my mustard yellow tights again and yet again chaos ensued. Fistbump kid comes running up to me.

“YELLOW!”
“Yes. Yes my tights are yellow.”
His friend chimes in “You look like 소녀시대!” I chuckle because I have no idea how my tights make me look anything like 소녀시대.
“DO YOU KNOW SEONYASIDAE? SNSD?” Fistbump kid shouts, trying to make his pronunciation of “소녀시대” as American as he can.
“Girls Generation? Yeah, I know them.”
Fistbump kid starts singing at the top of his lungs, pointing at me, as all of the kids in the hall stare.
“I am the best singer at CPHS.”
“[STUDENT’S NAME] – we have a saying in English. Don’t quit your day job.”

posted under Cute Stories, School