MANLY ATTIRE

November15
It’s been getting colder. It’s still pretty warm in the teacher’s office, and relatively warm in the classrooms, but it’s cold in the hallways and outside. This morning I ran into a male student (class 2.8) leaving the second grade building. He was just wearing a button-up shirt and a sweater vest, with no jacket in sight.
“HI TEACHER” he shouted.
“Hi, aren’t you cold? Where’s your jacket?” I replied, shivering, huddled in my massively oversized jacket, contemplating putting on my gloves.
“It’s in the classroom.”
“Why?”
“BECAUSE MAN.”

I graduated from the University of Mary Washington with a degree in Philosophy Pre-Law and Classical Civilizations, and found myself 3 months later teaching English at SGHS. The town that I taught in, SG, is a small town of 12,000 people, an ”읍” (eup) rather than a “시” (shi – city), and though it was sometimes hard teaching in such a small town I really enjoyed the unique experience of being the first foreign teacher SGHS had ever had. I lived in the largest part of the county which is significantly bigger (40,000 people) than the town the school is situated in, but is also considered rural by Korean standards.