Fan

January6

I promise one day soon I’ll write a blog post that doesn’t involve my teacher facebook.

Something a lot of my Korean students do is post pictures of celebrities as their profile picture on facebook. This gets really annoying, because over the last two academic years I’ve taught over 900 CPHS kids (this doesn’t even include the SGHS kids) and while I may not remember all (most >.<) of their names, I am pretty good with faces. Celebrity pictures do not help. What’s even more strange is that students will generally put a celebrity that they think is attractive as their profile picture. This, I guess, makes sense – if you’re going to put a random person’s picture up as your own then why does it matter if they’re the same gender as you – but it still creates cognitive dissonance when I go to write on their walls.

Anyway, TH is a male first/second grader (I won’t consider them really second graders until the new school year starts in March) and was in my club class. I waffled on whether or not to poke fun of him for his profile picture, but figured that as a student I saw more often he’d probably get that it was a joke.

The kid out-punked me. What do you even say to that. I’ll probably respond with my usual response to awkward things students say to me (Teacher! I love you!), either “Thank you” or “I know.”

posted under Uncategorized