Winter Camp Woes

January7

So the school year hasn’t started yet, and I’m teaching last year’s first graders twice this week. Last year, they were called second graders and had moved into the second grade building and were sorted into homerooms by this time. This year, apparently they’re still considered first graders, so I’m apparently teaching them in the first grade building. Found this out five minutes before class when I looked at my schedule and realized it read “1학년” instead of “2학년.” Then I found out that not only are they NOT in their first grade homeroom arrangements, but they’re not in their second grade homeroom arrangements. For the entire months of January and February the classes are random. Ugh. As long as they don’t mix them up halfway through the week I’ll be okay.

It’s good to be back in the classroom, though I’d like for this awkward transitional time period to be over, thank you very much.

posted under Uncategorized

I graduated from the University of Mary Washington with a degree in Philosophy Pre-Law and Classical Civilizations, and found myself 3 months later teaching English at SGHS. The town that I taught in, SG, is a small town of 12,000 people, an ”읍” (eup) rather than a “시” (shi – city), and though it was sometimes hard teaching in such a small town I really enjoyed the unique experience of being the first foreign teacher SGHS had ever had. I lived in the largest part of the county which is significantly bigger (40,000 people) than the town the school is situated in, but is also considered rural by Korean standards.