Pink, Sparkly Lip Gloss

April2

Makeup is against the dress code, but that doesn’t stop students from wearing it. Everyone’s heard my rants about students putting on foundation, concealer, eyelid tape (yes that is a thing), etc. Even though I’m at a high-level academic now, where way less students wear makeup than at SGHS, I’ve stopped batting an eye when students with their faces caked in makeup come up to me.

Today I did my create a country lesson for the first time in two years, for the first time since SGHS, actually. We talk about different things needed to create our own country (a political system, industry, education system, military, etc) and students make up their own country name, create a flag, and answer these questions.

One team made the “175 cm Country,” where all residents must be under 175 centimeters. They decorated their flag with short people, and then left what looks to be a pink, sparkly kiss. This is all well and good, until you realize that this was an all-boys class. As much as I hate to play into gender roles – considering makeup isn’t allowed and boys and girls aren’t allowed to talk to each other, where did this boy get the lip gloss from?!