Food for Dummies: 된장국 (Fermented Soybean Paste Soup)

April10

Hi everyone! I’m going to post a recipe for 된장국 (dweinjangguk-fermented soybean paste soup). It’s one of my favorite Korean soups, and there are so many different accepted varieties of it that I don’t feel bad posting my own version. The following recipe is a combination of the process my friend showed me and my own alterations, so while it may not be completely traditional, it’s still pretty tasty!

Ingredients:

Half a head of cabbage
1 heaping spoonful of 고추장 (Gochujang: Red pepper paste)
1 to 3 peppers (optional)
1 spoonful of anchovy powder
About 4 heaping spoonfuls of 된장 (Dweinjang: Fermented soybean paste)
300 grams of tofu
1 or 2 small onions
One squash

Warning: Your kitchen will smell really bad at first (anchovy powder). This is normal. Don’t worry, it will later smell amazing.

Process:

1. Take a large pot and fill it three quarters full of water and set it to boil. Take a smaller pot, also fill it three quarters full of water and set it to boil.

2. Roughly chop the cabbage head into medium-sized pieces and rinse them.

3. Put the cabbage into the small pot of boiling hot water. Let it cook for three minutes.

DSC06443 DSC06444

4. When the water in the larger pot comes to a boil, put in the anchovy powder.

5. Take the soybean paste and place it in a fine-meshed sieve over the large pot. Use the sieve to evenly distribute the soybean paste and get rid of clumps. Do this one spoonful at a time. Also add in the red pepper paste.

6. Drain the water from the cabbage, and put the cabbage into the larger pot.

7. Chop up the onion and peppers into medium-sized pieces. Put them in the larger pot.

DSC06446 DSC06447

8. Chop the squash into thin, half-circle slices.

9. Chop the tofu into medium-sized chunks.

10. Lower the temperature and place the tofu and squash into the pot.

DSC06448 DSC06449

11. Place the lid on pot and leave the soup to simmer for ten or more minutes.

12. Serve hot with rice (rice recipe not included). Enjoy!

posted under Uncategorized