Back to School Chaos

August27

It amazes me that no matter how old I am, no matter how long I’ve been doing this for, or what I’m there for, I’m always nervous on the first day of school. Kindergarten I didn’t want to go to, and same with fourth grade – my rebel year where I refused to do my book reports and was held in from recess for a week. In eighth grade I was nervous because it was my last year of middle school and everything would be different. That feeling reappeared in twelfth grade and my senior year of college. Interestingly enough, this year I seem to be a reincarnation of my 8th grade, 12th grade, and senior year selves. I may be a teacher, and I’m not graduating, but this is the beginning of the end of my time at a Korean high school. Hopefully this isn’t my last stint at a school, a few years from now it would be nice to have this same feeling again upon getting ready to graduate from graduate school, but let’s not count our chickens before they hatch.

So far the start has been chaotic, like it always is. I arrived at school early just in case there was a surprise teacher’s meeting (there was) and went to pick up the papers I had had copied for this week.  I received the papers (halfsheets made to look like postcards) and had a silent freak out, because they weren’t double-sided like I asked. Normally this wouldn’t faze me, but it’s the first day of school, and I was berating myself for not asking someone how to say “double-sided” and going to the copier alone. As soon as I calmed myself down and started cutting them I found out that they were in fact double-sided, and only the first page if the stack wasn’t. I originally only needed 288 copies, so that’s what I requested, forgetting to cut that order in half because I was making half sheets. I then decided last night to teach the same lesson to first and second grade, thereby doubling the amount of copies I needed, and making it so that the number I had had printed was the correct number after all.

I haven’t even taught yet.