The Storm Continues to Rage

August28

Melodramatic title aside, remember how yesterday I said I was more worried about walking in the rain and less worried about my windows? Well now I’m more worried about my windows.

Last night I spent a good hour stormproofing my apartment. The Korean government suggests spraying newspaper with water, then sticking it to the windows. I did that for a bit, until I ran out of newspaper (I have a lot of gigantic windows… which normally is a good thing) and then I put Xs on the remaining windows with tape. As of 8 this morning, which is when I left for school, everything’s still intact, though some water has gotten in and is now puddling at the base of my windows, but that normally happens when it rains.

[My newspapered windows. Every time I look at this I feel like one of those people in detective movies who put up newspaper clippings and over time it takes over their whole room. I kind of want to start taking string and attaching it to random words in the various articles and stare at it while muttering BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!]

This morning I realized I was woefully unprepared for a jaunt in the rain, so I put on flipflops (no sense in getting good shoes wet) and a skirt (no sense in getting pant cuffs wet), wrapped my teaching bag in a plastic bag, grabbed my umbrella and left. I got halfway to school before another teacher saw me, took pity on me, and picked me up. The wind was blowing so hard that I had to put my umbrella directly in front of me, like a lance, and I couldn’t see a thing, and it still managed to turn my umbrella inside out. One of the trees on our campus fell down and is currently blocking the parking lot. This whole situation is ridiculous. The storm is right on us now, and with any luck in a few hours it’ll start clearing.

[This is the biggest typhoon Korea’s seen in over a decade, and we’re getting it by way of Japan. It must have hit them much harder than it’s currently hitting us. The arrows denote where I am on this map.
http://web.kma.go.kr/eng/index.jsp]

[http://web.kma.go.kr/eng/index.jsp]

Well, all we can really do is keep calm and carry on. Hopefully the only typhoon updates I’ll have later in the day will be about how the typhoon  has moved on, and there’s a gorgeous double rainbow.

posted under Uncategorized
3 Comments to

“The Storm Continues to Rage”

1. Avatar August 28th, 2012 at 9:55 pm Amy Phillips-Iversen Says:

Thanks for the weather link! Now I can keep an eye on the weather in Korea…ahhh my son would kill me if he knew!! Looks the worst has passed and glad you are safe. Good luck with teaching this year and savor the moments.

2. Avatar August 31st, 2012 at 9:13 am epotosky Says:

No problem :). That’s site’s actually very useful – you can track lightning storms too! I think it’s great that you’re tracking the weather and making sure he’s safe. Is everything alright in America? You all got hit by Isaac around the same time we got hit by this typhoons…

3. Avatar August 31st, 2012 at 9:41 am Amy Phillips-Iversen Says:

All is well and good in my area, Southern NJ. I think the people in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and southwestern Mississippi got hit the hardest. I think Isaac is still going strong into the southern mid-western states. We may see some impact next week. But so far so good! Thanks for asking!! Let’s hope that typhoons and hurricanes will keep themselves away from all the people and places we love. Jake is actually on his own in Incheon studying at Yonsei (sp?) University until Dec. He’s living in an Goshitel…just learned what that is! I told him it sounded like a Yiddish word!