Sometimes I think sittin on trains…

September28

I’m currently on a train slowly meandering through the Korean countryside. Korea has three different train types of various speeds and prices and I’m on the slowest and cheapest.

As I’m coming from Jeollanamdo, it takes forever to get anywhere no matter which train I take, so as long as I’m not in too big of a hurry I might as well take the slow train. I rather like this train as unlike the KTX (Korea’s high speed rail system) it stops at almost all of the stops and so you get to see these tiny platforms next to shacks so small that it’d be misleading to call them train stations and you can try to imagine what it would be like to live there, surrounded by crops bisected by a single train line, just waiting for something to happen. Sometimes even the slow train doesn’t stop at certain stops, making me wonder if it’s a real stop or the remnants of a ghost town.

It’s 추석 (Chuseok) and I’m sitting on the train to Seoul. Gwangju, the stop where I got on, is the first stop, and Yongsan station in Seoul is the final station, so I am riding this train as far as I possibly could. It’s always interesting seeing who’s on the train. Chuseok is one of two major family holidays, so we have soldiers and students, couples and the elderly, and the occasional foreigner. So far I’ve already had three seat partners, and I still have two hours left. The girl next to me just offered me candy, and I’m now going to sit back and enjoy the rest of this train ride.

posted under Uncategorized